Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Beginning the Journey

I started this blog to record the discoveries I come across while researching my family tree.  It's hard to start because I am starting in the middle.  I want this to start from the beginning but that can't be. So - this is the beginning of the journey.

This last weekend, my husband and I attended the SCGS Jamboree in Burbank.  Ancestry provided a setup to digitize attendees pictures.  My mother-in-law was an avid scrapbooker, not like they do now but by cutting circles around pictures and mounting them with glue in construction paper  scrapbooks.  The books are now falling apart and I am so grateful that I was able to digitize almost 200 pages.

Some of the pictures are fantastic. It's a little late for Memorial Day and a little early for 4th of July, but this seemed the best start for my blog.

My husband Bill's grandfather was August Hopp. Born in 1878 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  He served during the Spanish American War  as a bugler with Company A Infantry, Hood's Regiment of New Orleans. These pictures are from that time.

Agustus Ignatz Hopp  known as Gus Hopp.  Born 20 June 1878 in New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.  He appears in the World War I draft registration in New Orleans and is enumerated in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California in the 1920 Census. Gus Hopp died 11 March 1932 in Alhambra, California and is buried in the Melun Tomb in New Orleans.

Gus Hopp was married to Henrietta Clementine Schmidt (7 Aug 1894), 16 years his junior on 3 June 1911 when he was  almost 33 and she was not yet 17.  They had two children Roy Clyde Hopp and Cleo Dorothy Hopp.  They were married almost 20 years on his death at the age of 53.

5 comments:

  1. Hello!

    You’ve got a great genealogy blog and I’ve added it to the blog list at GeneaBloggers.

    In addition, I’ve made sure your blog is listed in our search engine (http://www.geneabloggers.com/search-geneablogger-member-blogs/) so that it may be searched along with over 1,100 other genealogy blogs.

    Finally, I will also highlight your blog in my weekly This Week’s New Genealogy Blogs post on Saturday, 19 June 2010.

    Is there anything you need from us in terms of tech assistance or other advice? Check out the GeneaBloggers Welcome Wagon for lots of info: http://www.geneabloggers.com/about/. And if you need technical help, I run a tech blog for bloggers: http://fbbootcamp.blogspot.com

    Cheers!

    Thomas MacEntee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to start. Best wishes as you pursue this new venture. We will each enjoy celebrating each entry with you!

    Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
    and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a widow at 37! I'm 38 and can't imagine losing my husband. Keep the stories coming, I'll get the kids erading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of geneabloggers! I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious about your name "Mayhew" and wondering if you are a descendant of the Martha's Vineyard Mayhews? If so, we're cousins!

    ReplyDelete