Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ebenezer MacIntosh

While researching my husbands family, I discovered that his 4th ggrandfather is Ebenezer MacIntosh.  MacIntosh was the leader of the mob of Indians that were part of the Boston Tea Party.  What a fascinating person to research.  I've been trying to find some books/articles that were written about him and am having some trouble.  My first difficulty has been finding Anderson, George P., “Ebenezer Mackintosh: Stamp Act Rioter and Patriot,” Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, Volume XXVI, Transactions 1924-1926.  On the society website it says that the Transaction is not for sale.  An email requesting to purchase a copy of the article led to another email saying that you can't purchase the article just the Transaction.  (By-the-way, what is a Transaction?) Not listed in the Family Search catalog. I've now written to NEHGS to see if they have a copy and can copy the article.  I'll keep looking. 

Researching Ebenezer MacIntosh is difficult because his name is spelled so many different ways. I've found the first name spelled Ebenezer or Ebeneezer.  His last name has even more varieties including the spaces - MacIntosh, Mac Intosh, McIntosh, Mc Intosh. Guess everybody has this problem.

Other books I'm looking for are, none of which are in the Family Search Catalog nor Fullerton University Library:

"Mackintosh, Ebenezer". 1999. American National Biography. 14.   (World Cat says they have at Kansas State.)

Jones, Calvin L. 2000. "Captain General of Liberty Tree": Ebenezer Mackintosh and the "lower sort" crowds in pre-Revolutionary Boston, 1765-1774. Thesis (M.A.)--University of Houston, 2000.   (WorldCat says at the University of Texas)

Mills, Jane Johnston. 1979. First cap'n general of Liberty Tree: a biographical novel based on the life of Ebenezer Mackintosh, 18th century Boston shoemaker. La Jolla, Calif: Jupiter Books. (Fiction but should be interesting although it is out of print)

Anderson, George Pomeroy. 1924. Ebenezer Mackintosh, Stamp act rioter and patriot, c by George Pomeroy Anderson. Cambridge: J. Wilson and son.  (WorldCat says they have at a number of East Coast libraries and Institutions. I contacted the New York Public Library and they say it is the reference area and not available for interlibrary loan. Other possibilities are Yale, Harvard,  Boston Athenaeum, and the University of Colorado at Boulder )

 Anderson, George Pomeroy. 1924. Ebenezer Mackintosh Stamp act rioter and patriot. Cambridge: J. Wilson and son. Available at Yale on microfilm. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie. Glad you are joining our wonderful genealogy blogging community. The Allen County Public Library has a copy of the Publications of Colonial Society of Massachusetts that you are looking for. You could order it through them or if you send me an email (genwishlist@gmail.com) I will attempt to find it the next time I am there. Since I live in Fort Wayne, I am there all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
    and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need a copy of Anderson's article, I have a copy. send me your email address and I will send it to you.

    Charles Vidich
    cvidich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete